Monday, October 19, 2009

A boyhood dream fulfilled part 2, the buildup, the delivery, and at least one subtle reference to something way off subject.

The following blog is commentary on being a Metallica fan from the years 1991-2008. They are the author's opinion. The author's opinion may differ from yours. If that's the case, don't worry about it! It's a good thing! Could you imagine how boring society would be if we all agreed with one another?




I was in the Navy, stationed in Hawaii when Load came out. I was all excited when I picked up my copy and and got back to the barracks to put it in my CD player. I opened it up, looked at the cover, and thought, "did I accidentally purchase on accident a copy of a CD from another band called Metallica who dresses in drag?" To make a long story short, my feelings were very much hurt when I found out that Metallica had put out a terrible album called Load. I looked on the other side of the cover thinking I would see "of crap" wrapped around the back.

To make things worse, they released "Re-Load" a year and a half later. Fool me twice? Not exactly. I to this day still haven't heard that album. Reading the tracklist took away the last shred of temptation to at least give it a try. I mean, "Unforgiven II?" Songs have sequels? Albums have sequels? Who are they trying to be, Meat Loaf?

Years went by, and Lars sued Napster to stop freeloaders (thanks, bro), The band filmed their therapy session and released it in theaters (shame? anyone? anything for a buck?). Then they put out another horrible sounding album that I am still guilty of giving a try (however, I didn't buy it. The buyer, whose name I won't mention didn't want me to give it back to him though). Wow. How can a band make such a pile of dung. No guitar solos! That, and a dominant snare drum made for a terrible self-indulgence piece for Lars Ulrich.

Well,

During the making of the previously mentioned album, Metallica decided to clean up their act. Alcohol, drugs, etc. were all gone. I was happy to see that. They looked healthier and seemed to have their personal lives straightened out. Looking at them as human beings (how many people actually do that?), I was happy for them.

2008 came and I heard that Metallica was coming out with a new album produced by Rick Rubin. Rick Rubin has produced some great albums, and helped revive Johnny Cash's career, among other things.

The album came out, and I reluctantly gave it a try. It had "Unforgiven III" on the track listing. Were they trying to form a trilogy of Unforgiven? That almost killed the deal. Boy, am I glad I didn't ignore that album.

I downloaded the mp3 version of the album , and put it on the iPod. As I was on my way home from the house of who now is my wife, I was stunned. IT IS A GREAT ALBUM! Even "Unforgiven III" is good! Metallica is back!

The Worldwide Magnetic tour began, and the first leg didn't come around the Carolinas. But one day in February of 2008, my dear friend Kevin said, "Metallica's coming to Charlotte in October, do you want to go?"

Tickets were bought, and we were going to see Metallica in October.

Irrelevant content: Jon, Kate, Octomom, and the parents of the balloon boy in Colorado should all have to go in a balloon to a faraway deserted island and start their own pretend "reality" show in which no news or any form of media are nowhere near.

No comments:

Post a Comment